Search This Blog

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Radio Deejays

Singers, novelists, reporters, they have become.

Last week?
They were a mixture of radio deejays, invited panelists of discussion, newsreaders, voice over for advertisement, producer of a short radio programme.

The assignment was given a week earlier. In groups of 3 or 4, they were to create a 10 to 15 minutes radio programme consists of the following elements:
1. Discussion on an issue (Involves agreement and disagreement)
2. News
3. Advertisement
4. Song(Taken from any English songs)

Very creative and talented, indeed! Probably they can work as radio deejays. Though there were some who were just ‘reading aloud ‘ the prepared script. I was not against prepared script, as in reality nobody is supposed to see you in the radio programme. However, they could have acted out a little bit to make it sounds natural.

The names of their radio programmes include the followings:
1. Big Breakfast Show
2. Dam Dam Dum Raya
3. Fire.fm
4. Guchi Guchi Talkshow ( Minnal fm)
5. Havoc.fm
6. Mornings’s Voice
7. Pink.fm
8. Cute.fm
9. Extreme.fm
10. High.fm
11. Hye.fm
12. 96.4
13. Fantastic.fm

Guchi Guchi Talkshow and Pink.fm made it to the final round on Wednesday night class.

The main aim of this activity is to allow them to engage in a group discussion to practice their speaking skills. The final speaking examination will be conducted in the middle of September.

Besides, I get to keep abreast of the latest songs that teenagers like. I found out that I know all the songs. So, it can be concluded that I’m not that ‘old’ since I still listen to the same songs they listen to.

Finally, I also hope that they have increased their confidence level in speaking through this activity. I’m not sure about that?
How do you feel? Please respond.

3 comments:

cutevirgo said...

Assalamualaikum Pn. Shima........
I'm more confident now to talk in front of class or people because of your activity during class. I think in every class all of us must talk in front of class. Nobody will excuse. That is the best way to teach us speak in English. And I think I improve my language but I always have problem during speaking practise. I don't have any idea to elaborate my points. That was my problems now. I hope that I can settle my problems as soon as possible. hehe because it is going to be final examination next month. Lastly thanks again for your help in improving our English.

humaira said...

hye pn shima, about the deejay thing hehe,i found it quite interesting because i think that it is like a practice for our speaking test...actually i am not a good speaker, with your a lot of interesting activity that you want us to do, i think it help me a lot in my speaking test eventhough my assessment mark not so good...hehe i wonder what i score for the final test...by the way,thanks a lot to you......

Fauziah said...

Thumbs up for u Pn Shima!!
We shld hv more hardworking and diligent English language lecturers like u.
I must say yr students' English is quite good (minus all the slight grammatical errors, nama pun students, biasala tu).

Keep up the good work and hope the students are aware the importance of EL in their studies and future career advancements.