Search This Blog

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Reading Habits Survey

For Wednesday evening, combined classes of D2A1 and D2A2 (60 students), I’ve prepared handouts for grammar review, as well as, an article from Reader’s Digest, June 2007 titled “Hooked on Comics’.

I did an oral survey about their reading habits. I started with English novels. Out of 60,only 2 students read English novels; both read Harry Potter. About half read Malay popular novels and comics.

What are the titles of comics they read?
I had to ask them, “Are you sure you are university students?” “ I thought these are the same comics that my 8 year-old Arif is reading.” Naruto, Sinchan, Doraemon, Sailormoon,etc…emm, makes me wonder???

Other than comics?
Magazines, such as Cleo, Seventeen, Galaxie, ‘Remaja’,etc

After identifying their reading interest, I tried to find out other interests that they have. I believe this is very important for me so that I’ll be able to prepare activities and materials that interest them.

To my dear students, if you really want to improve your English, you really have to read a lot. If novels are too heavy for you, start with short stories.
In my next entry ,I’ll write the blurp of one of my favourite ‘light’ novels that you might enjoy. Go and search for it at MPH. Only RM34.90, slightly a little bit more than the cost of your ‘top-up’.

4 comments:

ninie said...

Hello Pn Shima...
actually, in about 1 mont i'm in your class , I realize taht my language is getting better.Thanks for your support. I know it is not enough for us to improve our language by reading a newspaper. i hope i can found the book that you said can improve our english. Thanks for everything and see you next class.. Smile always!!! :)

lovely lynn said...

assalamualaikum Mrs.Shima...
I just wonder to be like you. I want to be smart in speaking English but the problem is I don’t love to read. Any types of book I do not have interest to read. I can just only read one or two paragraph and then I started to sleep. This is the big problem I have to face in my life. I hope I will throw away my bad attitude. Start now I will try my best to read book in English. I want to improve my language especially my grammar and of course my communication skill. I hope I will get better in my English. I have to stop now..bubye.

humaira said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
humaira said...

i really like comics so much...i just don't know why...i think comics is not just for kids at all...i liked novel once..it turned out to be bored when the concept is just the same like other novel..hehe