Search This Blog

Thursday, January 17, 2008

English Only Policy

My dear students,
I'm sure by now all of you know that I expect all of you to use English all the time,especially with me. All communications with me ,in class, outside class, through the phone, SMS, even among your classmates,especially when I'm around.

I also informed you that I seldom get angry, but I will be very angry if you do not respect my 'English Only' policy. You often see me smile but I'll be very annoyed if you do not try to use English with me or with your friends. I'm sure you have seen how my facial expressions changed when that happened.

In other words, change your 'channel' to English mode on your way to my English class. As I've mentioned previously, it won't be easy to do that just during your speaking exam week. So many times I've seen students who might have lots of ideas but failed to express it in proper English words. Malay words will accidently come out from your mouth because your are thinking in Malay. How am I going to evaluate an English speaking exam when Malay words are everywhere in your sentences?

Of course I'm not saying that you should neglect your mother tongue. Being good in English doesn't make you less Malay. Read my Malay blog for evidence.

I must say that I was quite shocked to find out that only a few of you were 'forced' by your English teacher to use English with them all the time. I remember how when I was at school, my friends and I would speak in English to our English teachers.

I realize though that this could create barriers. For this reason, you might not want to speak to me at all. Since you are not able to express yourself, I will not be able to hear your thoughts and feelings. I believe that's partly why I want you to blog. This helps me to connect with you.

I hope I've made myself very clear here and I believe you understand my intention.

Finally, if you really need the urge to communicate to me in Malay, do it in my Malay blog. Use proper Malay there. Yes, I'm that strict!

9 comments:

LiNdA said...

hi madam...
erm..
it's not that i don't want to speak english..but when i speak a wrong,my freinds laughing me..i feel sad...so how madam can i solve my problems???

nadieyya said...

madam!!!
actually im quite good in english especially when i was in primary school...because im always stayed at home with my mom...my mom is a enlish teacher....but...when i was in to sports school and i had friends with a lof of kind of people....im getting worse and i seldom speak in english...my coach is a Finland ang Hungry man....i only talked english with them also to chinesse and indian people...well...im trying to start it back...but i have some problems because i cant speak in english if other person not speak in english to me....and sometimes i get forget...
i hope i can change from now on...
hehehee...but i need some times...
=p

Nazhatulshima N said...

Miss Lorinda,
To be successful, we must not be shy or easily sad. Like the saying, 'No pain, no gain' and 'No guts, no glory'. It's better to be laughed at now and learn from mistakes rather than be sorry later during interview session or at workplace.

Nadieya,
That's the reason why I want to create the environment that force all of you to speak english.. I'm not a native speaker of English. I also went through the process of learning and I believe I still am.

You mean Finnish and Hungarian? You made me think about my Finnish, host daughter Minea. She lived with me for a year in 2006. I wrote about her in my other English blog.

Try to practice with your speaking group members or perhaps talk to you mum more often. Best of luck!

Rina said...

I'll try to improve my English from Pua Chua Kang's style to the better English.

I'm still learning as well.

Unknown said...

for me..i understand what are madam write in your blog an what are you talking about... but to speak in english i have a problem at what i want to speak/ask...from part 1 until part 2..i still want improve my english..i confuse about present,past continous and other about that..if i talking..i can use the right word (curtain time)..if i want to do some essay..i have problem in my word...

LiNdA said...

hurm..
thanks madam.. :)
i'll try to improve my english..

LiNdA said...

madam..
can you give me tips to improve my english??
please... :(

Nur Islami said...

Salaam Madam, I came across your blog while browsing Kak Nisah's. I truly understand how you feel when students seem to ignore the "English Only Policy". I was in the same position as you are now. Students may as usual give a lot of reasons but I'm sure later, or maybe much later, they'll see your point. Ameen!

p/s I miss teaching :)

Unknown said...

Hi, would you mind if I got a guest post from you? Look at my site and see which topic you can best write. Its a request. http://rowlandotieno-youthbusinessideas.blogspot.com/